Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Superman's Ghost



It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Superman!

When I was a little lad of five, I believed in the power of Superman.

Don't get me wrong but I really loved and admired the man.

I wanted to be like him and would run around the neighborhood with a towel on my back.

Everybody would call me Superman and I was really proud and had a lot of fun!

Now that I am a grown up, I realized that being Superman is a lot easier said than done.

I realized that I couldn't even be like him for I was not even half the man.

Instead of fighting criminals and the lot, I cringed at the thought of finally meeting one.

If Superman can fly, I could only end up telling a lie.

The man of steel I am not, for I am nothing but a reed-thin Coward.

These things really bothered me, for I really wanted to be like my Superman.

In my dreams, I am the greatest, but when I wake up, all these things would just go pfft!

But I am a determined lot, and I would not let myself go down just like that.

In the morning, I started to jog around, and pumped a lot of irons in the night.

I became a certified Muscle Man and now walked down the road with a swagger to boot.

I proudly showed my sculpted body around town, to the envy of my fellowmen.

One day, I chanced upon a man running on uneven ground, a notorious purse snatcher on the loose!

And to my way he was coming down, I grinned at the chance of finally acting like my old man, Superman!

I tried to grab the collar of the man, and we ended up grappling for the leather bag to the ground. The people started to mill and gather around and watch me fight the fight of my life against the desperate man.

In my eagerness to kick him and pin him down, I got careless and was left defense-less and paid dearly for it, as he grabbed my testicles real hard that made me fart real loud!

The crowd was stunned and so was the man, and as responding policemen finally nabbed the con man, I was left in the middle of the crowd with nothing but lost pride.

I simply walked away a broken man, as if I could hear the laughter exploding on my back like an atom bomb….

From then on I was simply known as the man who wanted to be Superman, but ended up being called as the Fartman!
#

No comments: